Tuesday, May 3, 2011

..hmm, hummus!..

I have a new love that is hummus! I don't know why I've never given it a chance before. But I've had it, and I like it, so I wanted to share two recipes that give you hummus two ways! One recipe uses chick peas, and one uses black beans.

Plain Hummus
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 2/3 cup tahini, well stirred
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup light olive oil

Directions

In a food processor, add the chick peas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, to taste, and puree until the mixture is soft and smooth. Remove from the processor to a serving bowl and stir in the chopped parsley and olive oil. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.


Black Bean Hummus
  • 1 cup cooked black beans
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges

Directions

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until almost smooth. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.

You can serve these on pita chips, slices of soft pitas, or if you want a carb-free option, serve on lettuce!


post signature

1 comment:

  1. YUM, YUM! THANK YOU! I was beginning to think I was the only person who loves hummus! I will send you another hummus recipe (roasted red pepper and chick pea) which is also goooood! LOVE YOU, sweet girl! If I don't get a chance Sunday, I want to wish you a VERY Happy Mother's Day! Kiss the girls for Aunty Kai!

    ReplyDelete